Smell from washhand basin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the bathroom redone about four years age.
As the house is a conversion the washhand basin and toilet are close together.
The basin waste goes into the soil pipe almost imediately under the floor boards. This is the only practical arrangement due to the position of the main walls and where the toilet soil pipe exits the building. It is all new fittings and connections are tight.
When the basin is empting, there is a smell of sewage. No smell at any other time.
I need to replace the basin because it hasn't worn well, so I was wondering what is the best sort of trap to fit to the new basin to combat the smell problem?
There is a modern style of trap fitted (P Trap?). I was wondering if the older style S bend was better?

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards.
Colin.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find that it's more likely that the smell is coming from the trap rather that sewage from the main soil pipe, has the trap ever been cleaned?

If it's a standard basin then a bottle trap would be best IMO. P and S traps are just as good, as traps go, but a bottle trap is better for catching anything dropped down sink and easier to DIY clean. It's usually the space that dictates the type of trap.
If you don't mind spending then a waterless trap - HEPvO can be good too.

Thanks for the quick response.

The smell only happens when the basin is emptying.

I haven't seen these waterless traps before. They look fairly cheap, so I will give it a go at the weekend.

Colin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back