Help 2 blocked manholes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a downstairs bathroom and as toilet wasnt flushing well I went outside to inspect, I have a circle manhole in my garage which is full of waste water and I have a rectangle manhole further down my drive which is full of waste water. I have borrowed some drain rods although I have no corkscrew on them but I have not been successful in unblocking either manhole although I am a bit of a novice.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The chances are there's only one blockage, and that's downstream of the inspection chambers that are full. if there is a 'dry' chamber downstream of the full ones, try rodding from there upstream.

A careful look at your driveway, looking for any new dips, or where any nearby trees are may give some clues to the likely location of any collapsed pipes or sites of tree root ingression.

Some older inspection chambers had interceptor traps on the outlets which are impossible to rod. In that case, there should be a rodding eye, normally fitted with a plug, in the chamber wall just above the outlet to get the rods past the trap.

Tickly is right - you need a rubber plunger end on the rods - then go to the square manhole and plunge around near the far end of it , nearest the road/boundary where the drain runs to . When it drains down you`ll probably see the interceptor and it`s plug - as T says - . Standard procedure is to remove the plug and bin it ;) Interceptors are a 19th Century thing and pretty much pointless now

Sponsored Links
What you need on the end depend on whats causing the blockage. If roots then the screw first perhaps.

Its always a good idea to look at a neighbour's drains first if their property is similar as a dry view will point you in the direction to go in.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back