Sewage smell from under utility cupboards

You don't need a plumber to replace a durgo - if you can cut some plaster out to gain access to it, then it's either a pushfit one which will slip off easily enough, or a solvent welded one (ie glued on) which will need cutting off unless they didn't bother with the glue :rolleyes:

You can then either replace it as it is, or extend to the loft space and put one up there, or take it through the roof and not need a durgo at all.

The second opition is a happy medium which will allow easy access for future maintenance whilst keeping any further smells that might occur away from the main living areas, although having chopped the plaster out in the first place, an access panel could be used to cover the hole rather than the hassle of replastering the area.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. I did start looking at Durgos so maybe this is what I need to do.

In terms of routing it to the loft I believe directly above it is a water tank, could this part of the soil pipe be extended in an angled way to bring into airing cupboard more as above the airing cupboard is definitely clear loft space.

Have I established enough to be pretty confident it is a faulty durgo? I was thinking the smells would be coming from traps/appliances if the durgo was faulty but then I guess if it is letting smells out into the boxed-in area they'll escape down/out wherever they can along the way.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks very much. I did start looking at Durgos so maybe this is what I need to do.

In terms of routing it to the loft I believe directly above it is a water tank, could this part of the soil pipe be extended in an angled way to bring into airing cupboard more as above the airing cupboard is definitely clear loft space.

Have I established enough to be pretty confident it is a faulty durgo? I was thinking the smells would be coming from traps/appliances if the durgo was faulty but then I guess if it is letting smells out into the boxed-in area they'll escape down/out wherever they can along the way.

Thanks!!!!
No problem with angling it.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...FI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=air+admittance gives you one place to look at durgos

Your analysis of it not being more likely to be the durgo is correct - if it was from the traps then this (scent ;) ) would be coming out of the plugholes, or there would be water damage if there was a leak.

Sponsored Links
I think access might be a bit of an issue - as you can see the boiler is there and also some wooden posts seem to be in just behind the plasterboard.

How easy is it to extend a soil pipe? How do you join up the bits?

Thanks

Paul

You'll need access anyway to get to the durgo to check as doitall suggests, or remove it anyway. You extend it by putting a coupling on it such as this (or a solvent weld one depending on what tickles your fancy) and adding pipe on from here.

Looking at the pictures I think you'll struggle to extend the pipe to the loft. So I'd go for making an access panel.

Right, progress - of sorts.

I took the vent off and had a feel around behind. Two things:

i) I managed to easily get the durgo off, had a feel on the bottom and definitely couldn't feel anything like the "push fit" fixing on the bottom of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78150...last-Push-Fit-Air-Admittance-Valve-Grey-AF110

Felt more like the edge of a pipe. Does that mean it was a solvent fix and they didn't bother "solventing" it ?!

ii) Bit of a problem re removal. If you look at my last photo on page one, there's wood all around the durgo and the gap isn't wide enough to remove it (by removing plasterboard). If I try to lift it out of the vent gap there's pipes in the way ! Nightmare. Wondering if I can somehow push a pipe in to extend it out into the airing cupboard and then up into the loft. Any ideas?

Ta!

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back