Sewer smell in ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let's see if I can describe this properly. The ensuite is on the other side of the wall from the main bathroom. Both toilets are on the outside wall of the house and are connected by an almost level length of soilpipe whch connects into the soil stack immediately after the pipe from the main bathroom toilet joins it. There's a valve on the top of the soil stack (which is internal) - I think this is called an AAV?

The ensuite shower and ensuite sink drain pipes come through the wall and run horizontally under the bath which is at right angles to the main wall. The main bathroom sink is on the opposite side of the wall to the showerstall. This has its own pipe which runs horizontally under the bath. Both drain pipes then turn through 90 deg and eventually join the soil stack after running parallel with the horizontal soil pipe coming from the ensuite khazi. So I have a LOT of pipe that is hardly going downhill if at all. I didn't lay it out like that - this is down to some chump of an architect who obviously hadn't heard of gravity - all the houses on this development (about 20 years old) are like this. Hopefully the silly b****r has now retired.

When the ensuite loo is flushed we get a noise something like a plane taking off. We don't get that when the main bog is flushed. The noise we can put up with - the sewer smell in the ensuite is the problem. That's pretty constant. The wife could pick up on a moderately bad case of BO at 500 yards, so she tends to complain a lot. There isn't a problem in the main bathroom. When I rebuilt it, I put those little venting valves into the piperuns, thought they'd be a good idea. I took the valve off the top of the soilstack and flushed the ensuite lavvy but it still made this mighty noise. Bit like a very loud (and unrealistically long) fart.

I'm pretty sure the smell is being caused by the traps in the ensuite being sucked out - but we've stopped using the ensuite toilet because of the racket, so it isn't that. The little sink in there has a "squashed" trap (can't think of a better way to describe it!) and I'm not sure there's room for an anti-syphon trap.

If anyone's got any ideas about the niff (or the flushing noise) It would be much appreciated.

Isn't it great that the English language contains so many words for toilet?

Cheers and ta muchly for the advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
Never heard of of one of those, I sense a visit to Plumb Center coming on!

Cheers

Malc

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back