Bathroom + Ensuite Waste Pipe Vent.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my bathroom and ensuite toilets do not have a waste pipe vent, there is a hole in the roof where the vent should be.
Instead there is this filter thing connected to the main bathroom toilet.
The ensuite toilet waste pipe has no ventilation connected to it.
My wife says the ensuite room smells, could this be the reason.
Any advice would be welcome .
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190418_192532.jpg
    20190418_192532.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 20190418_191919.jpg
    20190418_191919.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 20190418_192543.jpg
    20190418_192543.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
Does the en suite WC waste pipe not connect to the same soil stack ?
The vent in the roof may be for an extractor fan ,never fitted.
The Floplast Av is a standard way to vent a stack internally. Allowing air In ,but keeping smells out.
What else is in the en suite ,shower ,basin etc? The water traps on these may be the source of the smell ,or the WC pan connector to waste pipe not sealing fully.

Thanks for replying - I'm not sure to be honest if the ensuite and bathroom toilet waste pipe is connected, but I doubt it. It's a newly built property and they couldn't show me anywhere in the loft where it was connected.
The house builder sent a technician round who assured me it wasn't a problem it not being connected as the downstairs toilet wasn't connected either.
I found the extraction pipe vents and they go through the loft wall and seperate to this non-connected "roof" pipe.

You should consider engaging a plumber to check it out for you.

Sponsored Links
My wife says the ensuite room smells, could this be the reason.
Any advice would be welcome .
Thanks.

It's tricky but you need to ascertain if the ensuite smells of drains or damp. Is it a windowless room and does it have decent ventilation/extraction? It could be that a shower tray or enclosure is not sealed properly and water is getting behind tiles etc. There may also be an anti vac trap on the basin which is stuck open. Was the soil stack tested during construction?

Definitely a smell of urine she says, can't smell it myself.
Just thought not having the waste pipe ventilation might be the reason?
Thanks for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back