Ensuite smell - 3 plumbers cannot diagnose/fix..Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately, I may need both to explain my problem. Ill try to be brief...
Moved into nice new house in February
Noticed stale smell from ensuite
Called plumber 1 ...could not diagnose problem and could not find mahole..suggested a drain survey
Called surveyor...cctv survey done...manhole found under extension (ouch!!) but drain was clear!
Called plumber 2....suggested that traps in shower/washbasin were being blown due to siphon action. Antivac trap and HepVa valve fitted respectively...no longer drain smell from either

However, smell remained in ensuite....it was coming straight from the toilet pan. Covering toilet pan with cling film confirmed this!
Called plumber 3....removed ensuite toilet to look for blockages....no blockages found. Toilet trap not compromised. AAV worked when toilets flushed. Que a lot of head-scratching.

Here is the general layout of the waste drain in the ensuite and adjacent main bathroom

Click here if above does not work

Just to summarise....waste smell coming from toilet pan only (honest!)...no blockages of waste pipes...adjacent bathroom does not smell....no leaks or mould....AAV seems to be working when either toilet is flushed.....toilet traps seem ok

Here's a long shot......has anyone got any ideas on what I can do next (apart from selling the house) :confused: Happy to clarify anything.

Johnny

Sponsored Links
If the cistern overflow does not discharge internally into the pan then
how is it connected?

I have come across o/flows connected directly into soil and waste pipes.

Gasop";p="2097599 said:
If the cistern overflow does not discharge internally into the pan then
how is it connected?

I have come across o/flows connected directly into soil and waste pipes.

The cistern overflow is connected to the pan and not to the soil pipe. The smell actually comes up into the cistern from the pan!

The cistern overflow is connected to the pan and not to the soil pipe. The smell actually comes up into the cistern from the pan!

:confused: that dont make any sense from your description. there's different styles of toilets, various overflow arrangements etc. maybe a few pictures. might be clearer.

Sponsored Links

:confused: that dont make any sense from your description. there's different styles of toilets, various overflow arrangements etc. maybe a few pictures. might be clearer.
Hope these make it clearer

Main Bathroom toilet and AAV
Ensuite Bathroom toilet (above)
Ensuite toilet cistern
Ensuite toilet (side)

It`s the aav - if the pipe was vented to open air it would work :idea:

This was my next thought but I want to be sure that is it before going putting a whole in my roof. As we don't use the main bathroom very often, I wonder could I test the idea by venting into the bathroom with the window open (window is right beside the loo and AAV). I know it won't be the same as venting to the outside but could it work??

Well it is not a syphonic pan any way , clue was probably in the OP

eg nice new house :oops:

doitall";p="2097692 said:
Does it still do it with the AAAV exposed.

Not tried this. Should the AAV screw off. House is pre-war and extension was done 20 years ago....Spot on!

Not tried this. Should the AAV screw off. House is pre-war and extension was done 20 years ago....Spot on!

No I meant the lid on the box.

The AAAV need air to work. although it's quite old, any problem with it I would have expected the smell to be in the same room.

No I meant the lid on the box.

The AAAV need air to work. although it's quite old, any problem with it I would have expected the smell to be in the same room.

Ill try it without the lid but lid has not been sealed for a few weeks now and it has not made a difference. After that I might just vent into main bathroom
and see how that goes. Thanks for the input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back