Ensuite smell - 3 plumbers cannot diagnose/fix..Please help

Does the smell return when you use the toilet or is it there all the time.

Sponsored Links
It is there all of the time and most notable first thing in the morning...at least it seems that way!

Any idea of the make/model of the pan.

Cracked pan, or maybe a pan connector problem, need to know type

You did say the smell goes if you cover the pan with clingfilm.

Any idea of the make/model of the pan.

Cracked pan, or maybe a pan connector problem, need to know type

You did say the smell goes if you cover the pan with clingfilm.

I can't see any manufacturer name on the toilet whatsoever. The only identifying mark is "A89". I suspect its not a common loo as the fill and flush valves are made by a Chinese company (R&T plumbing) but maybe that has nothing to do with it. We checked the seals on the pan connector pipe and they looked fine. No smell behind or under the pan as far as my nose can make out. Smell goes when I clingfilm pan and overflow pipe in cistern

Sponsored Links
If you flush the main bathroom toilet, does the level change or bubbles appear in the ensuite toilet?

If you flush the main bathroom toilet, does the level change or bubbles appear in the ensuite toilet?
No bubbles but the level drops by a few milimeters in ensuite loo before the AAV kicks in and level returns back to normal. At no point does the level go low enough to affect the trap though

Not tried that cause overflow is connected to pan. Why would sealing a small outlet make a difference when you leave the big outlet (i.e. pan) open and unsealed :confused:

This is why you have had 3 em, plumbers so far.

For the smell to be permanent there has to be a fault..

You say the smell stops when you cling film the pan and overflow, but is still present when you clingfilm the pan only.

Problem must be between the overflow and soil pipe.

By blocking just the overflow you would confirm it.

yep doitall is spot on :D
i would also like to add that sometimes that airflow may cause smells to appear well away from source
so sometimes you need to stop using incase the smell is peculating from another area

yep doitall is spot on :D
i would also like to add that sometimes that airflow may cause smells to appear well away from source
so sometimes you need to stop using incase the smell is peculating from another area

and I'd tend to agree with doitall and big all too

It`s the aav - if the pipe was vented to open air it would work :idea:

This was my next thought but I want to be sure that is it before going putting a whole in my roof. As we don't use the main bathroom very often, I wonder could I test the idea by venting into the bathroom with the window open (window is right beside the loo and AAV). I know it won't be the same as venting to the outside but could it work??
If you do a Heath Robinson job with some tumble dryer hose and duct tape - you will be able to seal round the pipe and the window - and do a test for several days :idea: just watch the duct tape residue. You don`t necessarily need to go through the roof to vent - you can go through the wall and up the outside - if it`s unobtrusive . I just don`t like AAv`s because they only deal with neg pressure - Drains are subject to positive pressures too :idea: -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back