BAD SMELL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new bathroom fitted 3 months ago and everything was fine for the first 2 months and then came a bad smell from the shower waste pipe.Have put bottles of the pipe clearing solution down the waste pipe and left overnight but the smell returns as soon as someone uses the shower!Also if I put bleach down the toilet and flush it the the smell of the bleach wafts up the shower waste pipe.The shower tray and waste trap is from JT and the shower waste pipe runs into a stack as does the toilet and sink waste.The plumber who installed it says that the trap under the tray should prevent any smells but obviously it doesn't.Not sure how the trap is supposed to work but there is no water covering the end of the waste pipe so I don't see how there is supposed to be a barrier to prevent smells.How do I solve this problem?

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me as if the waste trap has a part missing if you can see the waste pipe outlet. There would normally be a tubular fitting that fits down inside the trap from above.

Sounds to me as if the waste trap has a part missing if you can see the waste pipe outlet. There would normally be a tubular fitting that fits down inside the trap from above.
Thanks for the reply.
There is a removable plastic tubular hair trap which fits inside the well in the trap and when you remove it for cleaning you can see part of the opening to the waste pipe.
Should the smell of bleach from the flushed toilet travel up the showere waste pipe?

You should'nt get any smells coming back, your plumber may need to fit an anti syphon trap to the shower. Stick something in the trap (i.e. knitting needle and see if its wet, then measure the depth of wetness (you know what i mean)

Sponsored Links
IIRC if connected to a soil pipe then the trap should have a min of 75mm water seal. Some of the "clean from the top" type traps do not meet this requirement and are meant for discharge into a hopper head or open gulley. As gigz says an anti-vac trap may be needed to break the suction when the wc is flushed which, in turn, is pulling the water seal out of your trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back