Shaver supply in small bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our bathroom recently suffered water damage due to a leaking supply pipe to the toilet cistern.

End result is all the floor tiles are out and the chipboard floor is to be replaced. We're going to use the opportunity to replace the wall tiles.

I wanted to ask about having a shaver supply fitted when the tiling is replaced:

The bathroom (shower room) is very small. Its has a shower, basin, toilet and window. There is an extractor fan which I believe is supplied from the lighting circuit.

The shower-room measures 1.5m x 1.6m. I know that there are 'zones' in rooms with baths or showers which determine where electrical fittings can go. I was concerned that with the room being so small that I couldn't place a shaver supply near the basin without it being inside one of these zones.

Is anyone able to advise on how far from the shower the shaver supply would need to be? It's to be used for recharging my electric toothbrush.

I also want to ask if it could be powered from the lighting circuit as it would be quite disruptive if it had to be supplied by a spur from a plug in the next room.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Most shaver points are powered from the lighting circuit.

I was concerned that with the room being so small that I couldn't place a shaver supply near the basin without it being inside one of these zones.
You can locate the shaver point outside zone 1 but must be located where direct spray from showers is unlikely.
see zones //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones
There are no longer any zones associated with a hand basin located in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
And some lights with shaver sockets are downright dangerous as they do not contain an isolation transformer

Another problem I've come across is where the transformer and hence the socket is only live when the light is switched on. OK for shaving, not good for charging.

And some lights with shaver sockets are downright dangerous as they do not contain an isolation transformer
Non compliant, but "downright dangerous" is a bit strong. I don't hear about lots of deaths in the majority of other countries that allow non isolated sockets in bathrooms. In fact in the US it a requirement to have a (GFI protected) socket near the basin.

Given the size of the room, I rather suspect that an all singing and dancing cupboard might not fit!
@curium whatever you buy, just check that the shaver point complies with BS3535 and you'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back