shed electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to supply my workshop with two flourescant lights and 5 double sockets,the sockets will run a small 1/2 horse power lathe, and a 1/2 horse power mill.(not at the same time) we have a gas cooker so the electrical supply for an electric cooker is free,can i take a spur of this to feed power to the shed?

Sponsored Links
How much electrical power in kW do each of the machines need and are they 3-phase or single-phase?

Where is the shed in relation to the cooker point and the fuseboard?

At 750W in a horse power 550Ft/lbs in old money even with losses likely you can run with one kilowatt. So with 13A = 3Kw it would likely be ample.

But with sheds the distance from house and earthing is important so I would read Electrical installations outdoors: a supply to a detached outbuilding from IET which is in PDF format.

There are some changes as to RCD requirements since that was published and of course there is Part P to consider but it does cover most of the points I would want to make.

both machines are single phase.the shed is about 15 feet from the cooker point and another 10 feet from the board,also whilst im picking your brains,is 4mm twin and earth adequete?

Sponsored Links
4mm² may be an adequate conductor size, but T/E is not the right sort of cable to use to run to the shed - use armoured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back