Shed Foundation (reinforced concrete) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all, I'm going to build a 12ft x 10ft shed with 4-inch blocks. I have a foundation already with reinforced steel but it is only about 4 inches thick.
I know underneath is compacted with gravel, and the concrete is above ground. It's almost like a big slab.

My question is if I place another say 4 inches of reinforced concrete on top of the other 4 inches would this be okay to then lay blocks onto it?

Also, would it be okay to put down the DPM before putting on the concrete?

Any info is welcome.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The slab is perfectly adequate for the floor as is, although damp proofing becomes a problem. The walls will probably allow some moisture through without some treatment to the outside surface. And there might be some humidity condensing on the inside of the walls.
What's the intended use of the shed? How important is the presence of some humidity?

For the walls, is it possible to dig a proper foundation around the outside of the floor slab?

Your intention is to make a raft, so it effectively floats on the soil as a single entity. This will require a very strong slab. There are probably tables available somewhere that state the required thickness for whatever size you want. But usually they still have a greater depth under the wall, which you don't have the option of adding as it's already there.

As stated above, the safer option would be to dig down beyond the topsoil around its perimeter and use the existing slab only as a floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back