SHED POWER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a house and want to ask if the current set up for my shed power is safe.

Currently a spur from the socket behind the dishwasher and washing washine runs outside with normal 3 core grey cable. This is fixed to brick work, it then runs in plastic conduit about 15 metres, then inside the shed goes into a FCU and then to one double socket. It all works fine, never trips even with a lawn mower plugged in. But is it safe ?

Thanks, Dom.

Sponsored Links
Is there a 30mA RCD protecting the circuit? - Not a good idea to spur off the heavily loaded kitchen ring final circuit.

Running the shed off its own radial circuit through a 30mA RCD would be safest answer.

No RCD. If I put one in can I use the same supply from the spur ?

domroe said:
No RCD. If I put one in can I use the same supply from the spur ?
WHEN you put one in. Not IF. ;)

And plastic conduit provides little protection outdoors. read mine and plugwash's posts on page 4 of "for reference" see here

Sponsored Links
Thanks Crafty I WILL, but again, can I use the same supply ?

theres nothing technically wrong with taking the supply from a ring circuit like this, as long as its protected by a 13A fuse. You dont say what the FCU at the shed is for. If its just between the house and the socket, this is probably your fuse protection. Perfectly acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back