Shed Resting Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have ordered a 6ft * 6ft shed. I have a concrete base of 6ft * 8ft, surrounded on two sides by gravel, one side with concrete slabs that fence off a garden terrace and the other is the dividing concrete wall / fence property boundary.
My question is what should I rest my shed upon above the concrete base? The shed in question is:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/garden...DPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB tDs76aYYKg==.

Thanks.

Chris

Sponsored Links
I have an old shed in my garden that sits directly on a concrete slab base and the rain water that gets onto the base has soaked into the wooden batons and the rot has spread into the floor.

When I replace the shed, I'll be raising it up onto bricks (probably mortared in place at strategic intervals), in order that the floor of the shed doesn't come into direct contact with the wet ground.

I’ve fixed roofing felt on the base of every shed I have ever erected; one at my last property is nearly 25 years old & still in service with no rot in the floor; current shed is rather large & is 7 years old.

I sit them on either 600 x 600mm concrete pavers or 300mm reinforced concrete fence gravel boards laid over around 30-50mm of compacted sand, either will work just as well.

Sponsored Links
bricks topped with felt/dpm in a grid pattern every 16-24" [floor bearers spacings]

wood only rots when its kept at a constant moisture content saturated wont rot dry wont rot just the bit in the middle around at around 25% moisture content
thats why fence posts tend to rot where they go through the earth as below and above that point is at the wrong moisture content

get yourself a 11-13mm thick sheet off osb'sterling board or ply wood on top off the flooring in the main work area as the floors on cheap sheds are carp ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back