Shed Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a brick built shed, the roof is in pretty poor condition (see pics).

My plan is to take the tiles off, removes old battons and felt, board over with OSB board then felt over. Im not an expert at this tho, so if any of you guys (or girls) can give me abit of advice on a better way to do it, that would be great.

If i go down the boarding route, do i nail it on or screw?
Also ive looked on the internet at roofing felt, there is all kinds on the market, do i need normal regular roofing felt or do i need underlay aswell?

Thanks
Dan[/img]

Sponsored Links
Why bother? In all seriousness, the shed is a rough DIY attempt at building a shed. You might be wasting money and time.

To do what you propose, first fix wall plates, you would then need to joist it out with secured bearing ends for the joist tails. You must have a, say 150mm fall - for mineral felt.

You would also need rippings of ply to form an all around fascia.

Screw OSB sheets down and cover the with green mineral felt.

FWIW: the shed is constructed with concrete blocks.

Your right, I was thinking about knocking it down an getting a bricky in to build a new one with a window, it's very dark in there, a window would make a huge difference. My girlfriend insisted I come on here and ask for advice first though.

Thanks ree

Sponsored Links
Personally, I wouldn't say that the shed is beyond redemption, though it does look like something from a former East German prison camp.

If the walls are reasonably sound, could you keep them and put a half-glazed door on instead of a window?

Yes, the roof is a mess and needs to be re-done with new joists (4x2), OSB and a layer of mineral-finished felt fixed with galvanised nails. It won't last for ever but would be a cheap fix to keep you going for 2 or 3 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back