pitched roof problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pitched roof with plain tiles set on battens which are on counter battons which inturn sit on close boarded chipboard which has a coating of bitumen to make it waterproof. There is no felt underlay. There are a few patches where water has got into the chipboard and a valley is leaky. I want to replace the valley with a GRP one and the damaged boards with OSB but thought I would strip all of the tiles and felt the roof. Should I put the felt straight over the bitumised chipboard and OSB sections or on top of the counterbattons? Am I OK to use non breathable felt? It is a cold roof so all the reading I have done so far suggests that would be OK.

Sponsored Links
bramblefly said:
Should I put the felt straight over the bitumised chipboard and OSB sections or on top of the counterbattons? Am I OK to use non breathable felt?
The felt should be under the roof battens otherwise the roof tiles got nothing to fix to!

Yes but there are two sets of battons. ones running up and down the roof (immediately on top of the boards) and ones above them running horizontally along the roof. Which set of battons should the felt be under? (Confusion may have arisen because I'm not sure if I used the term counterbattons correctly - Sorry)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back