Slates onto felted, boarded roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small 6 x 4 pitched roof on a workshop that I want to slate to match an adjoining roof. The roof is OSB board with roofing felt at present. Can I nail the slates that I have straight onto the the roof without removing felt and without battens.

Sponsored Links
No.

Water, dirt and insects will collect under the slates and accelerate rot and damage.

You can leave the felt and board in place, the felt will be a secondary protection. This is a good quality way of finishing a roof, and normal in Scotland.

On a sarking boarded roof, you start with counterbattens running down the slope of the roof, and nail your slaters battens crossways on top of those. This enables water and rubbish to drain down the slope between the counterbattens.

Luckily, treated roofing batten is very cheap by the bundle. If you can be bothered to drill pilot holes, it is less liable to split.

you can just make out how it's done here. This is a more modern version where an insulating slab board was used.

3d-sarking1-317x176.jpg

Yes I see your point JohnD, only problem is that would raise the level by around 50mm above the adjoining roof which I was hoping to join into at the same level.

Sponsored Links
The nails would bounce around trying to nail individual slates to osb, you would end up breaking more than you lay.
Slates are laid direct to sarkin and 1f felt in Scotland have been for centuries but the cement fibre and man made stuff all laid to batten/counter batten.

Yes I see your point JohnD, only problem is that would raise the level by around 50mm above the adjoining roof which I was hoping to join into at the same level.

If you have to join the plane of another roof you would be better screwing them.

Slates are laid direct to sarkin and 1f felt in Scotland
This is true and other places too.
You might consider hook fixing, its easy and you only end up with 50% of the punctures. A large part of France and Germany use this method...Not into OSB though

Thanks for all the advice guys, looks like I’m going to batten it and somehow make up the transition between the existing and new roof.

If its mainly for aesthetics then could you not oversail the join with your slates a couple of inches maybe?
Might also need to consider the extra weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back