Slate roof,reinstate several rows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a flat roof extension that butts up to a pitched roof,the flat roof covering goes up the pitched roof 400mm, therefore 4 rows of slates were removed and now need to be reinstated,I have a question about the best way to lay/secure the final row of slates,which meets the row already in place,I can't get to the nail holes because of the slate above, so i'm thinking I need to use either slate hooks or straps along the whole final row?
The pitched roof is fully boarded (not battened)and they are 8 x 6 inch welsh slates,with one whole in centre.
Just to ad the slates are to tight/fragile to slide the top ones to one side to expose nail hole for final slate. House is bungalow build 1927.
Any advise would be much appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean Xenon, clips? As in tile hooks? And last course,as in last row to be fitted, i'm assuming that's what you mean...

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Sponsored Links
For anyone doing similar job,slate hooks work very well, I used 80mm and was a tenner for bag of hundred..... Be warned though once you start working on an old roof,it can end up a lot more work than it looks, as I ended up replacing quite a few damaged tiles, I hadn't noticed until starting the reinstatement ,but it was most therapeutic and a lot of satisfaction when completed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back