fix for nails holes in underslaters felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has a slate roof with underslaters felt. However, the nails that have been used to fix slates are too long for the gauge of the battens and in numerous instances have punctured the felt.

I inherited this roof when we moved in, so I cannot ask the roofer to rectify.

I can snip the nail ends off so that the nails are flush(ish) with the felt.
Is there a method to fix the nail holes internally? With some type of bitumen tape?

Sponsored Links
the felt will have hundreds of nail holes in it, particularly where the lathes are fixed.

no.

i think it is lazy when a roofer uses lathe nails to fix the tiles. so you have my sympathy.

there's not a lot you can do though other than cut 'em off. what you will gain from it though is another matter.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
what you will gain from it though is another matter.

not a trip up to a & e if he hits his head (no nail to go into your head, yes a joist / beam will hurt but not as much as a nail in the head will)

Thank for veiwing and your help.

I'm assuming there is little I can do to fix the nail holes internally.

If I keep maintenance up on the slates and they remain weather proof I have little to worry about.

Cheers forum members

I would agree on trying to cut or grind the points off, especially at face and head height.

Do the nail holes pose any real leak risk? I have the same problem and am wondering if I need to worry about water ingress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back