Nail through tyvex waterproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have recently had a section of the roof replaced with new tyvex felt membrane installed and as the internals have all been ripped out I can clearly see that a single nail has missed the rafter and gone through the tyvex membrane.
Its only the one nail and it about 5mm from the rafter so only just missed and is only just poking through. I have no desire to contact the roofer and have him come back and rectify the works but for insurance purposes the internals can not be completed until this is rectified.
So the question is what do I do?

I have read a number of blogs that say just push the felt up a bit around the nail and then cover it in a sealant. Whilst others say cut the head of the nail off and then cover it in sealant. The issue I see with that is its to close of the rafter to move the felt much around it and some people that said that in trying to repair these you cause more damage.

I would say that there is some sag in the felt between the rafters so water will defiantly flow down the middle of the felt and not near the rafter.

Al thoughts on this gratefully received...

Sponsored Links
I was just gonna say about the sag until I read your last paragraph. I really wouldn't worry about it. Breathable membrane gets ripped all the time, your tiles do all the waterproofing. I'd just leave it, maybe ooze some silicone around the nail or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back