Shelves in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this belongs here, but...

I've recently upgraded the insulation in my loft from 100m to 270mm, and have raised the floor height by 170mm to do it. I've boarded the central section of the loft as well, covering about half of the total area up there, for storage. I kept it to half partly because of headroom (there is none!), but also to make sure the loads up there don't get too high.

To help with this, I wondered if I could attach shelves to the gable wall and the separator wall (house is a semi) to store some stuff. As these wouldn't rest on the joists I assume it gets around excess loading, but I don't know if there's some other issue with attaching to those walls.

Cheers, Paul

Sponsored Links
Its more to do with the weight you wish to store.
Fitting the shelves is not an issue

I'm not expecting to put much on the shelves, and would certainly remain within the limits of whatever shelving I use. So assuming I'm not going to bring next door's house down I guess I'm OK

It will be ok as long as you fix the shelves good other wise whatever you have on the shelves will be in your bedroom :LOL: ps keep the shelves near the centre of the walls. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Markie - they'll definitely be centered in the walls, as there's barely 5 feet of clearance even at the highest point!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back