shocking... (not in that way)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided that two single sockets weren't enough for my bedroom, so I decided to add a double. I turned the power off to my bedroom. no problem there...

I also turned off the power to the kitchen, and the far end of the living room (not the end my bedroom is over). These are all sockets on the same circuit as my room.

The bedroom that is above the now powered down end of the living room still has power. and the part of the living room directly below me (unpowered) ALSO has power.

Is it just me or does this make little to no sense? I would have thought (ignoring the extension that is already on a separate circuit) the upstairs would have been on one circuit and downstairs on another.

Am I right to consider this shockingly illogical?

Sam.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ours is wired with one circuit for the left hand side and another for the right hand side - puzzled me for a while when we moved in.

House is six years old.

So long as it is clearly marked up at (or adjacent to) the consumer unit then it is OK.

Mind you it`s not uncommon to find them marked incorrectly so take care.

It will (should) have been installed with circuits run to facilitate lengths of run, loads on circuit and ease of installation so it might be split up/down or left/right or front/back etc etc, note kitchen seperate is a good idea too.
or it might be a combination of these

Mine is:-

Ring finals
Front
Back
Kitchen

Lighting
up
down
kitchen

Shower
Cooker
Shed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back