Shoot bolts do not operate when euro barrel tightened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an issue with a UPVC door that was badly fitted 3 years ago by a company who are thankfully no longer trading.

I have gone to measure the euro barrel to prepare to replace it (Security concern), and noticed that when I fully tighten the screw holding the euro barrel in position, I cannot lift the door handle to make the shoot bolts and locks operate. If I slacken it off by 1 or 2 turns, it operates fine.

This clearly isn't right, and I cannot see anything that would cause this - the barrel doesn't really have anywhere it can move to.

The same happens with the door open or closed.

Any advice welcome :(

Sponsored Links
Is it the new barrel or old one that you are having this problem with?
I find this sometimes happens with cheap locks.

If you haven't bought your new one yet Id recommend either ABS or UAP both have a 3 star rating

Is it the new barrel or old one that you are having this problem with?
I find this sometimes happens with cheap locks.

If you haven't bought your new one yet Id recommend either ABS or UAP both have a 3 star rating

I am yet to buy a new one, just removed the old one to get the measurements.

Thanks for your reply on my other thread, I have managed to find a T50/40 UAP one that I may go for.

The current barrel is Asec, is this a very cheap brand and a likely cause?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Interesting, the door was installed with nice Yale handles and a good quality letter box, but a cheapo barrel!

Actually I remember now it arrived without the thumbturn as requested, so the guy got one from his van, guess that explains it.

The UAP one I have found says 40/50T, but they usually have the internal measurement first, can it possibly be any different?

Also, whilst I have your attention, do you fit many with the security keys to domestic front and back doors? They are a fair bit more expensive it seems.

Thanks again for your re-assuring advice

You will need to double check which are the internal and external sizes as usually only the external has the anti snap features. This may be indicated by the "T" I haven't come across that before though.

There are usually some good deals on locks on Ebay.

Vary rarely Im afraid. The composite doors I fit come with them as standard but when I try to upsell them with PVC doors noone is interested (generally people are after the cheapest nice looking door possible).

The PVC doors I fit come with Yale hardware but its the cheapest Yale barrel.

Luckily I live in an area with very little crime, I havens heard of a single break in around here by overcoming the cylinder, Except me when I pick locks for friends and customers where they have locked themselves out lol.

Excellent thanks! The T seems to stand for "Thumbturn", so it must be the inside?!

It is extremely low crime here in Jersey, but I am still kind of tempted with the security key version for some reason. I have found a deal on a Yale (eBay) which is almost the same as a UAP with standard keys. Then its just double the cost per extra key......

I think the Yale locks are only a 2 star rating.
When I have bought extra keys for the ABS lock in the past its usually about £15 for 3 keys including postage.

I would recommend having them posted to a friends house though just incase they were lost in the mail.

Ah, maybe thats why the Yale's are £25, and ABS are £45!

Yes good point, I will have them delivered to a family members address, or to work with a colleagues name I can trust.

Still deciding if its worth the extra money, as I don't know of anyone being burgled in Jersey for at least 3 years, and then it was because windows were left open.

Sound like my area, Someone left their garage door open all day about 10 years ago and their bike got pinched.

I really keep meaning to do my locks but I would need 4 of them.
Every time I snap a lock (its like bending lead) it scares me that they are even still allowed.

Oh I regularly leave my car unlocked all night, only notice in the morning when I head to work because the wing mirrors are folded out.

And occasionally I have left the front door unlocked for the day.

In the end I went for a UAP lock with a standard key - didn't see the need for the extra security around here, especially when the rear doors are standard euro locks. (None stick out though, so can't be bent) Made sure it was bump, drill and snap proof though.

Makes me wonder though, the ones on the rear doors are marked as 'Q' on the original keys, are this brand respectable?

They came as standard on the frames, which are System 10 branded.

They can still be bent but they would have to bend the handle first with some molegrips. Or plug pullers are scary too

Might remove one of the rear ones and check they are bend proof, just to be sure!

You have been very helpful!

Thanks Gazman16, new lock arrived today. Fitted it with a new bolt, did it up suitably tight and all good, everything works perfectly :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back