Should eaves trays be fitted on unlined slate roofs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with penetrating damp coming from the top of an upstairs room gutter level. Originally the house had a cast iron gutter and no fascia board. It how has plastic guttering and fascia board and I have been told that the roof does not overhang the gutter enough. I had an eaves tray put in to direct water into the gutter but it hasn't worked and the problem has got worse. (Dependent on rain and I think wind direction)

On seeking advice (there is no obvious problem at gutter level) I have been told different things. Some roofers say eaves trays are meant for tiled felt lined roofs and others say there is no problem and they put eaves trays in with slate roofs all the time. Can't find the answer searching on the internet. Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer to this?
Any information appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
They are used for both!

Felt and membranes rot and are not uv resistant felt support/ eave trays are uv resistant etc.

Thanks. In that case I may try having the pieces of eaves tray overlapping instead of butting each other as water is getting in somehow!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back