Should floorboards always go under skirting?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've pulled up some old 20mm floorboards and replaced some rotten joists.
I bought 22mm chipboard flooring. It does not fit under existing skirting board - board is already off on one side of the room, but I kept it on on the other side. Is it best to remove all and put new skirting on, of can I have the floorboard up against the skirting, instead of under? The room will be carpeted.

Sponsored Links
allsub-flooring goes under skirting an just stops shy of the wall.you could return the 22mm an use 18mm that will slide under the skirting.

Sods law says the 18mm will be too thin, and depending on the loading on the floor, may not be strong enough, so just how thick were the old floorboards. You could possibly shave off the edge of the chipboard, but I'd be inclined to remove the skirting board, and do the job properly.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Yeah, I got thicker so it would be need solid. I'll get shaving. One piece slid under, so not much to shave. Could even take bottom of skirting off....

Sponsored Links
22mm might be to thick an cause problems . always better lower than higher in flooring.
the poster has already said that the old floor boards were 20mm .
doing building work for a living i do jobs properly but i dont make work an maybe further problems for a diyer.
there are 4 walls in a room an removing an refixin skirting from the other 3 might cause problems with mitres,scribes archtraves an decorations an even tight door swings for a diyer.
18mm t&g chipboard is used all over the show besides lofts.

jonbey you started by saying the 22mm wouldnt fit,now it does go under.
what does taking the bottom of skirting off mean.

the 22mm does not fit all the way along - but in one part, it does slide under, so the gap is probably not too much thinner than the board.

what does taking the bottom of skirting off mean - just take, maybe shaving 2mm off will be easier and cheaper than removing and replacing. Well, maybe cheaper!

thanks for your reply. but how will you take off the 2mm with the skirting still fixed. what tool do you plan to use?
just a thought but are you dead certin that the new joists are dead level with the old joists.
if we are going to replace the skirting when we replace joists an sub--flooring we always leave the skirting in-situ until the nnew joists are set with a correct sub-flooring gap

Oh, the joists on this site of the room were not replaced.

What tool? Not sure!'but, why is it so important for the board to sit under the skirting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back