Should I leave a gap below skirting board for carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm shortly going to be fitting skirting board in a room which currently just has exposed floorboards but in which I will be getting carpet fitted.

Should I fit the skirting board so that the bottom of the skirting board is in contact with the floor boards or should I leave a gap that carpet can be tucked into when fitted?

If I should leave a gap - how big?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you dont fit skirts over carpet.

the only gap you may wish to have would be say the thickness of some glass paper.
carpets are fitted to either gripper rod or tape.

Like said already you don't tuck carpet under the skirting
The skirting sits on the floor and then the Fitter will use gripper rods to fit the carpet

Thanks Gregers and Happyplumber - I'll fit the skirting so its touching the floorboards then.

Just a follow up - I found this other thread on here, which basically gives the same answer but also says the bottom of the skirting board should be siliconed to the floorboards. I've never heard of that before - is that something that is often done? I guess if was going to do that, I would need to leave a gap of say 3-5mm between skirting board and floorboards so that I can get the silicon in

Sponsored Links
think that may be a 'draughts' issue ?
but ive never siliconed skirts to the floor and ive installed thousands of meters of the stuff over the years.
new 1 to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back