Should I be able to tear Vinyl flooring like paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought Vinyl flooring from B&Q (it was on their roll machine) and it was cut to order.

However, the builder told me this cuts like paper. I though he was joking, except I could cut it by hand, just like paper. Normally, Lino is very hard to tear by hand.

I am worried about this, as in the kitchen people will move the fridge or the washing machine and the legs will tip the vinyl.

Is there any difference between the term Vinyl flooring and Linonium

Sponsored Links
in the kitchen people will move the fridge or the washing machine and the legs will tip the vinyl.

1) don't drag stuff across floors

2) if you need to slide, say, a washer or fridge under a worktop, empty it first to reduce the weight, then clean the floor, then spray or mop it with a Vinyl Floor Lubricant.

These are sold in containers marked "furniture polish" "WD40" and "Washing Up Liquid" (diluted with water).

Various qualities of vinyl flooring are available. Possibly yours is not an expensive one.

You are unlikely to have linoleum. It is quite an expensive material used by restorers of old houses. it is made with linseed oil and ground cork, baked onto a hessian backing.

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/r...os/difference-between-vinyl-and-linoleum.html

It’s known by both names but is not just one product , there is a huge variety in quality and cost , cushioned vinyl is best suited to lower traffic areas , playrooms, bathrooms etc . Depends which type you purchased .

I paid £8sqm, however, there were other thinner ones. The prices were similar. Thickness was described was 3mm on display, but on the website it said 2.6mm.

They had one vinyl with felt backing with 4mm, but it was only available in black.

Any grounds for me to return / complain? I think I should have gone for tried and tested regular tiles.

Sponsored Links
Vinyl flooring and linoleum are two completely different things. I'd expect to be able to cut the former with sharp scissors

I tiled our kitchen floor as I knew it would have to put up with some fair old wear and tear, definitely worth the effort imho.

The laminate that was down before didn't do too bad to be honest.

Can't see cusion floor lasting long at all in a kitchen.

£8 m² is very cheap so wouldnt expect too much from it . thick cushion floor dents more easily Rhino floor will stand more than most and of the most important things with that type of flooring is the thickness of the wear layer. We make skids from 4pint milk containers to slide things accross our floors.

all finished flooring depends on preparation esp sheet vinyl - eg sheets of ply underlayment, and will the vinyl be fixed or loose laid?
dont ever drag any appliance, or anything else, across a thin vinyl floor.

the appliance footprint is say approx 600mm x 600mm - so cut a thin square of hardboard to fit that footprint.
tilt the machine and slide the square under the front legs and as far as the back legs - then pull the appl forward.
then set the back legs on the board.
now you can move the appl about on the square or use a strap-on trolley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back