New vinyl flooring across 2 levels and surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an old type very small toilet. It's on 2 levels with the loo at about 3 inches on the higher section of floor.
Seems to be a concrete floor at the loo end but with what seems to be a small part of the higher level extended with wood.
The lower remaing floor to the door side is floorboards.
All is covered with what looks like old lino floor tiles and seem very well glued down :rolleyes:

The floor is level enough I think and I'm not too worried about that, but what I need to know is;
How do I fit Sheet Vinyl and make a clean edge where the floor drops to the lower level?

Is there a 90 degree edging strip because I've had a bit of a look and can't find?

As the old tiles seem mostly in good shape and flat do I need to fit any ply prior to laying the Vinyl?
Or can I put down a thin membrane to reduce any small amount of unevenness and to reduce cold feel to the floor?

Sorry for the basic questions but every DIY is a first time for me :oops:
Thanx for any info.

Sponsored Links
With sheet vinyl, the sub-floor needs to be smooth and blemish free...

- from your description yours is, so there is no need to install any boarding.

With regard to finishing the edges...

you could use anything durable and atractive enough, however within the trade metal angle plates are available in a range of finishes and are widely available in 1inch wide and 2inch wide profiles, if you ask at the shop where you obtained your vinyl they will be happy to help. They should have samples to show you so you can choose the most suitable.

...the option suggested by "misterhelpful" should work very nicely, but I note it has a rounded edge - do you want a square edge?

Thanx misterhelpful & lymmranger

Yeah that edging doesn't look pretty at all :eek:
After seeing that edging I might actually just use a bit of 90 degree aluminium as I think it will look cleaner and because whoever fitted the extended bit of raised floor must have had a wonky eye as they fitted it about 6mm out on one end :rolleyes:
So I will have to fit a bit of wood to clean that up and this will have to come up to the edging but also serve as cover for the lower section of Vinyl! So a rounded edge may not look as good as square! (maybe)

As the floor is 95% ok that's good I don't have to board.
But...there's always but.. I'd like to put a thin membrane down for 2 reasons.
1. to even out any glue I couldn't get off the floor and small imperfections.
2. to make it feel a bit softer to the feet and reduce the cold feel!

Is this ok to do or a no no?
Thanx again for the info..

Sponsored Links
Yes and No....

You shouldn`t put anything under the vinyl, if you are not happy with the sub floor then you will have to either board it with 6mm ply or...

if you are happy that the existing floor tiles are firmly fixed you could screed it

if you use some sort of membrane/underlay then you will risk the vinyl slipping constantly

Thanx lymmranger
Wouldn't want the vinyl to slip. I was contemplating sticking something to the underside of the vinyl but probably not necessary as the vinyl is 3mm thick so it should be fine and hide any small imperfections as I plan on fitting an embossed slate design which has an uneven surface!

My local 3 stores don't have the edging strip in stock so project on hold as they don't have the vinyl I want is stock either :rolleyes:
So I'm going to use a smooth 90 degree bit of aluminium and make my own edging strip and then need to look for a vinyl to carpet edging strip to complete.
Thanx for your advice.

misterhelpful
LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back