should i give car back?

Unfortunately this is the awful depreciation you get with cars these days.In this case it is probably made worse by it being an auto, which are costly to fix if they break and thirstier as well.

As cars get older many buyers tend to prefer more basic models as they are seen as less to break,less trouble and therefore cheaper to run. Which is what they want and can afford.

Try to bear this in mind when you eventually replace it. In this case a 1.8 manual or better still a TDI would both of held their value better.

We don't have this problem in M/cr we just park them in Salford for a few days.

Sponsored Links
have just read the small (very) print on the back of my contract?it states that if the car is written off i would only recieve book value from insurance company.as the present book value is 4k,i have £4700 outstanding?i would have to settle the agreement first from the money i recieve from insurance company.so in the end i would be without a car & £700 out of pocket :evil:

suggest you contacted citizens advice before doing any thing rash

do you hand the car back to the place you bought it from i dought it
i assume its the finance company or bank

big all

Sponsored Links
get your money's worth out of it and drive it into the ground.

I kind of agree with kendor, second hand car values have dropped thru the floor recently, which is great if you're a first time buyer, but probably not so good if you have to sell. For instance, I paid about 15K for a 10 month old Vectra V6 Sri (ok, ok) when I came to sell it, 3 years later, I'd lost £12.5K it was in tip top condition, so the buyer got a lot of car for their money. My present car (Toyota LC) cost an arm and a leg, but I'm gonna run it into the ground, I'm hoping to get at least 15 years out of it (assuming ss doesn't hold me to the deal, but then he has to take the wife and kids as well :)), that equates to about £3K a year, which is cheaper than the Vectra ! (fuel costs and unexpected expenses aside !!!) The car industry stole a march on us consumers a few years ago by introducing new models far quicker than before. The new model of course is pretty much identical to the old one, just spun out to be more fashionable hence hitting the resale value of your old "out of date" model. BMW are notable for this, back in the eighties (when I was an oldish lad) it was a huge event when the trim went from chromed to dechromed :eek: now, superficial cosmetic changes are made almost on a yearly basis to entice us to shell out for the new model.

Cars, complete waste of money.

if more of us take that attitude then hopefully new car sales will plummet so much that prices will have to fall dramatically.

The reason the car dealers are getting away with high car prices because we are stupid enough to pay for it, including me ! If we all stick together and don't buy a new car for few months then the prices will drop down fast but this will never happen.

It has worked in the past as recently as in the nineties car dealers were falling over themselves to sell you a motor as the market had hit rock bottom so it doesn't take a lot to change things, just say keep the car going 4 or 5 years instead of trading in before MOT's are due.

I reiterate ... we need a motorist's union ... I think if this was ever started it could become a huge political player ... not perhaps what we would really want ... Would have potential to cause some ructions tho'.
I mean the car is, for many, their second largest capital spend and for many a source of the old 'feel good' stuff ....... certainly more inspiring than any recent Prime Minatures !!

P

have just realised that i use my car for only 90% that i have it.
drive to work 1/2 hour use
drive home 1/2 hour use
is not used for23hrs out of 24hrs.
obviously company cars get used alot more but the average bloke who commutes for just 2hrs per day is still paying for the privelige of not driving it?what a load of round spherical objects.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
have just realised that i use my car for only 90% that i have it.
drive to work 1/2 hour use
drive home 1/2 hour use
is not used for23hrs out of 24hrs.
obviously company cars get used alot more but the average bloke who commutes for just 2hrs per day is still paying for the privelige of not driving it?what a load of round spherical objects.

You mean you use it only 4.2% of the time. But think of the convienience !!

P

Sponsored Links
Back