Should I insulate cavity in bay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have a 1930's house with semi-circular bay windows. The outside being tiled. We're having the Windows & window sills replaced, so it would be an ideal time to add insulation into the cavity if it were a sensible thing to do. There is quite a gap and we could easily put the rolled insulation down it. I know that houses are supposed to breathe and am bit worried by insulating the gap we could end up creating damp /condensation where currently, none exists.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
I would urge caution. Bay windows are notorious for letting in water. I would be reluctant to bridge the gap and so allow penetrating damp or leaks around the window to find a route to the inside wall. But maybe I'm being over cautious!

That's kind of what I was thinking. Someone suggested using a Kingspan type of insulation with a membrane on the outside. Perhaps we could put that down the gap towards the internal side, leaving a smaller cavity towards the external side?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back