should I remove old plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am currently renovating my house and plan on getting the full house plastered. I am currently undecided if I should either , have the ceeling skimmed , overboard and skimmed or take down the old boards and replace for new ?

The old boards aren't too bad , 1960 house with a few cracks in them here and there.

Sponsored Links
If its all sound no real reason to rip it down and replace. The mess and dust is pretty bad.

That said it does depend on what your aims are. I did pull down the ceilings downstairs in my 1920's house and stuck up resilient bars, insulation, and plasterboard for the purpose of soundproofing and it's worked pretty well. Upstairs was skimmed as the dust and crap from the loft can be a nightmare.

The only downside I found because of the insulation is heat no longer travels up, so the downstairs rooms tend to be warmer than the bedrooms.

As its a 60's house, skimming should be fine, but make sure they tape the cracks first. Having said that, overboard and skim give less mess than taking down the old ceilings, and guarantees a good finish. I put insulation between two flats I rent out, and it's helped cut down the noise transmission dramatically. All I did was lift every 6th floorboard, cut the insulation into manageable chunks to go between the joists, then pushed them in from either side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back