Should we be as liberal as China for divorce?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just because it's a different to the normal state of affairs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...aw-ordering-cooling-off-period-before-divorce

Chinese couples seeking a divorce must first complete a month-long “cooling-off” period according to a new law passed on Thursday that has stirred a national debate over state interference in private relationships.
A whole month! Draconian state interference indeed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_in_England_and_Wales
  • Separation, agreed divorce (two years)
  • Separation, contested divorce (five years)
Two years for the equivalent in the UK and you still have to go to court to do it.

I'm with China on this one, Divorce should be simpler and not require as much beauracracy.

Sponsored Links
Just because it's a different to the normal state of affairs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...aw-ordering-cooling-off-period-before-divorce

A whole month! Draconian state interference indeed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_in_England_and_Wales

Two years for the equivalent in the UK and you still have to go to court to do it.

I'm with China on this one, Divorce should be simpler and not require as much beauracracy.

Yeah but then where would we be without all those divorce metaphors for Brexit? :mrgreen:

Stay apart. Control your finances. Save Money

:mrgreen:

Of course you have to court, many people don't appreciate a marriage is a legal contract. I don't really understand though why someone who files for divorce can't be sued for breach of contract :LOL:

Of course you have to court, many people don't appreciate a marriage is a legal contract. I don't really understand though why someone who files for divorce can't be sued for breach of contract :LOL:

Maybe because the other person has already breached the contract.
Love, honour, obey, sickness, health, richer, poorer etc, etc

Sponsored Links
Maybe because the other person has already breached the contract.
Love, honour, obey, sickness, health, richer, poorer etc, etc

Well you certainly used to have grounds for divorce, but these days I think you can file for a no fault divorce.

Well you certainly used to have grounds for divorce, but these days I think you can file for a no fault divorce.
You can, after waiting either two or five years.

I'm no lawyer but there aren't many contracts you enter into where the government says you can't mutually dissolve them without waiting two years to do so.

I know you can do it on the grounds of irretrievable breakdown, but even that means you have to go to mediation and then still wait at least 2 years, living apart which usually means separate houses but you can do this in the same house so long as you both agree that you have lived independently for the 2 years. i.e. each has paid for the own food, clothing etc, paid their contribution towards the household shared bills, cooked their own meals from food they bought, washed their own clothes etc, etc.
If you are going to go to that extreme then just agree it's broken down and both go your own way.

I know you can do it on the grounds of irretrievable breakdown, but even that means you have to go to mediation and then still wait at least 2 years, living apart which usually means separate houses but you can do this in the same house so long as you both agree that you have lived independently for the 2 years. i.e. each has paid for the own food, clothing etc, paid their contribution towards the household shared bills, cooked their own meals from food they bought, washed their own clothes etc, etc.
If you are going to go to that extreme then just agree it's broken down and both go your own way.

It is recommended that both partners attend meditiation but not mandatory , if both partners agree to grounds of irretrievable breakdown and agree on conditions , property, children etc, Divorce can be straight forward and completed within a few months , depending on how busy the Solicitors are

It is recommended that both partners attend meditiation but not mandatory , if both partners agree to grounds of irretrievable breakdown and agree on conditions , property, children etc, Divorce can be straight forward and completed within a few months , depending on how busy the Solicitors are
By law you must be separated for two years or someone must be at fault. Which means if you don't want to start slinging accusations of infidelity around or something more serious then you've got to separate for 2 years minimum before you can get the divorce.

It's even more absurd when one of the couple wishes to divorce but the other doesn't. In that case it's five years.

What do you mean by separated? I was divorced a matter of months after I'd left the marital home.

So was I but only because the ex admitted it had broken down irretrievably because of her behaviour.

Sponsored Links
Back