Shower And Combi boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a quick questions for all you techy people! :)

I'm going to have a new combi boiler installed, need to decide make a model. but one quick question.

If the mains water feeds direct into the combi boiler, why cant I split off from the mains pipe before it entersinto the combi boiler so I can use a standard electric shower, instead of useing a Mixer shower or a thermal shower.

Many Thanks

Glyn

Sponsored Links
Optimal,

1 question for you. Why would you want to use an electric shower, when you can get a better shower from your combi.

Rico

I'm not an expert, but that's exactly the set up I had when my combi was installed. Assuming the guy new what he was doing, he didn't bat an eyelid.

I have since ripped out the shower though (re-doing bathroom)

Optimal,

1 question for you. Why would you want to use an electric shower, when you can get a better shower from your combi.

Rico

I'm a total newbie at DIY, however I just recently purchased an electric shower which i installed myself, I just dont want to go through the hassle of replumbing a hot and cold feed to the shower etc etc, also dont want to spend £300 ish on shower plus my plumbing skills are not that great!!! unless someone can recommend a shower that is compatible that only uses a cold feed.

Thanks

Glyn

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert, but that's exactly the set up I had when my combi was installed. Assuming the guy new what he was doing, he didn't bat an eyelid.

I have since ripped out the shower though (re-doing bathroom)

Combis give superb showers one of their real strong points. If you want electric backup, then take the combi hot outlet into the inlet of an instant electric heater. Leave the heater off and the hot water just runs straight through. If the combi is down then switch on the electric heater.

They are small and cost around £100 and can also do a tap. Just for backup and enough to get you wet and have hot water at a tap until the combi is back up.

you could leave the electric in place but also have bath shower mixer taps on the bath (taps with shower hose) that way you have combi performance and electric as a backup.

You can get thermostatic bath shower taps also...but a more expensive than manual adjustment !

you could leave the electric in place but also have bath shower mixer taps on the bath (taps with shower hose) that way you have combi performance and electric as a backup.

That will only give shower backup, which is probably all you need. You have to then put up with an ugly white box in your shower.

An instant electric shower can do two tap and a shower - not all at once though, but great for backup.

you say you are not a diy expert BUT plumbed in an electric shower!!!!! these things need a separate connection to the Consumer Unit for the electric, usually a 10mm 2 cable and a pull cord ionstalled in the ceiling!!!

you say you are not a diy expert BUT plumbed in an electric shower!!!!! these things need a separate connection to the Consumer Unit for the electric, usually a 10mm 2 cable and a pull cord ionstalled in the ceiling!!!

I used a 6mm cable for an 8.5kw shower it was the only cable I had left over, as the distance between the fuse box to the pull cord switch was short in distance. putting in a single 15mm copper pipe down to the shower was easy enough as well as I took the feed direct from the mains feed up in the loft and not from the header tank. But i suspect when having a combi boiler its going to involve a'lot more work and I just recently purchased the electric shower, so I don't want to go out and buy a new one!! when I can still use the electric shower.

btw thanks to everyone else for all the advice it much appreciated, and its good to know people are out there willing to offer good advice.

so a big thanks :)

Optimal,

Ask your RGI if he can leave the mains leg to the shower intact when he rplaces the boiler.

Rico

NEVER NEVER NEVER feed an instant heater with hot water!
Even if it's switched off, this is completely illegal and extremely dangerous.

NEVER NEVER NEVER feed an instant heater with hot water!
Even if it's switched off, this is completely illegal and extremely dangerous.

Hmmmm, I'm talking about the cold water feed, I assume thats not illegal. Unless I miss read your post!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back