Shower drains slowly

Sponsored Links
Apologies for coming into this discussion late, but we have a shower outlet of fairly similar design.
Leave the chrome 'dome' (or whatever it is called) in place and the shower tray begins to fill with water. Remove it and the water instantly begins to drain properly.
I have tried to figure out what the problem might be: cleaning it, unscrewing it a bit to raise the 'dome', and so on, but nothing works apart from removing it.
So that's what I've done. It no longer has the 'hair trap' but at least the water drains properly.
I have a feeling that this type of outlet cover was designed to look 'trendy' rather than to improve water flow!

Right, finally got around to writing this up. Short answer: I made the changes I wanted to, it drains fast enough, I'm happy!

Helpful photos for @JBR or anyone else that wants to know:

Mine was actually a Simpsons STHFW6190 High Flow Waste, (one of the great comedy names ;)) but I imagine this'll work for anything similar.

Here's the trap:

And here are the parts after disassembling. See the pot that goes inside the trap, and the cross piece that goes inside the pot?

Here's the pot before and after my modifications!

Here's the crosspiece before and after - just shortened.

The water seal inside the pot is now only about 2cm high, but this seems to be keeping smells at bay (they are certainly detectable when the trap comes out for hair removal). So pretty pleased with myself :)

glad your sorted and thanks for pics of your handiwork Dave. that's now a very shallow water seal ,and its good that its worked for you ,but it may not work for everyone .if the waste pipework discharges into a soil stack it must have a deeper seal than that. so word of warning to anyone thinking of buying this trap...don't !

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back