Shower head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, with a lot of help from this forum have got my shower enclosure all finished. I have one more problem which I hope someone can help me with. I have a thermostatic mixer shower running of my combi. It has a rain shower head which works perfectly but when I switch to my hand shower head the water goes cold. When I take the shower head off the water gets hot, shower head back on and it goes cold. This is a new mixer shower so should work fine. By the way the shower head has 3 settings on it, could the shower head be faulty or will there be some settings inside it.

Sponsored Links
Sounds strange.

I wonder if a flow rate fluctutation is causing the change in temperature. Maybe your hand shower has a reduced flow rate which means that the hot/cold mix is changing?

As far as I'm aware no shower head will contain any settings etc with regards to how it processes water - normally they are pretty much just a fancy pipe!

What make is the shower set?

Thanks for answering my query. I bought the shower off ebay and it didn't have a make on it. All it said was TWIN HEAD THERMOSTATIC SHOWER MIXER ROUND CHROME BATHROOM BATH EXPOSED VALVE 001. Hope you can make some sense of that.

ebay was it new?

Worth looking in the shower hose/ head some have a restrictor that is fitted for high pressure such as combis, a sort of plastic disc with small holes in it. but if your combi pressure is a bit low try removing it.

Other remote possibility is some heads have an anti scald device that might be faulty or operating if your water temp is too high.

Sponsored Links
Hi once again thanks for answering. Yes it was new cost £99. Today I have took it apart to see if I could find any restrictor but nothing there. What I have found is that in the two feeds hot and cold there is a filter. these filters are coming apart and rusty, only been on a month, could you take them out.

doesn't bode well if the filters designed to sit in water are rusting away :confused:

Might as well bin them, after all you are not going to have much luck with a warrantee claim I suspect.

Is there anything on the box about a minimum pressure?

What bore is the hose? They vary quite a bit from 1/4" to about 3/8" a larger one might help boost the flow to the head and help the flow.

PS I fitted one of there to a tank system with poor pressure and it did help your combi should be ok but if the shower is very restrictive it might be worth trying.

http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/tre-mercati-millennium-low-pressure-chrome-plated-shower-handset.html

Otherwise pop round to mums or a mate and ask if you can borrow their shower head to try just to see if yours is a faulty one :D

Thanks again for your help, I think I will give that handshower head you suggested a go.

I would try to borrow one first as that one is half the price you paid for the shower, if you find another one does the trick you might get away with one for under a tenner!

Do let me know how you get on
regards,
footprints.

Hi me again. Got daughters shower head with a single spray and works fine. put my shower head back on and of course it was cold. I stripped my shower head right down and inside on the inlet was a rubber washer and a spring , the washer had a very small hole in it which must be restricting the flow. Took these out and it got hot but also leaking badly. Can you please throw any light on the outcome. Asking this because I don't want to go and buy another shower head the same as I have got. Sorry about it been so long. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back