Shower Leak Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Bought first home last year which had a separate shower installed. Noticed a small leak when it was being used from time to time into the kitchen below. Fast forward one year and I've had several plumbers out and a new tray cubicle installed, but still getting this tricky leak through. We haven't used the shower in over 6 months as haven't had the money to pay anymore tradesmen to come out. I'm now thinking about tackling it myself so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have removed the existing cubicle and started to remove some of the tiles. I have decided to buy 'Shower Panels' instead of re-tiling. My plan of attack is as follows

1. Shut off mains water, and remove mixer shower.
2. Remove rest of tiles/plaster board
3. Check waste pipe for faults/flow/drainage
4. Apply new plaster board
5. Apply shower panels
6. Fit new shower tray
7. Fit cubicle
8. Seal everything?

I have attached a couple of photos of what its looking like at the moment! Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• shower1.gif
    shower1.gif
    234.4 KB · Views: 200
  • shower22.gif
    shower22.gif
    238 KB · Views: 213
Sponsored Links
I would rip out the rest - tray and all and start again. Walls could be done with hardie backer cement board.

I would have cut an inspection hole in the ceiling below before ripping all that out, so that you could have pinpointed the source of the leak by running the shower whilst looking from below!

Still may have lead to a rip-out but you'd have had some solid evidence to go on!

I did exactly this last week... 2 ensuite showers with a leak manifesting on kitchen ceiling below.
Cutting hatch into ceiling revealed leaking Osma Gold fitting on dhw supply to upstairs. Nothing to do with showers at all :)

IMG_20191128_160653.jpg

Had similar issue. Tiles identicle to yours. The leak was actually through the grout in the tiles, but you couldnt really see any gaps in the grout, must have been tiny hairline cracks, but enough for the water to penetrate through.

Regrouted and problem solved.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses. After getting the tray out seemed like the waste pipe was sagging. I think it could of been a combo of this along with hairline cracks in the grout. Will continue the rip out mission over the weekend. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back