Newly Grouted Shower Tray Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a New Ceramic Shower tray and grouted round it with Waterproof grout. Yet I am finding it is still leaking, Water seems to be seaping throught the grout when we shower. Appear about half way down the grout on the shower tray base between the tiel wall and cubicle. Don;t think it is running under the cubicle frame....more seaping through the grout.

Any suggestions. Doesn;t seem to be any cracks in Tray Glaze or Grout.

Wall is tiled with a Ceramic Tray and a Glass / Metal Fram shower cubicle.

Grout was Unibond - Floor Grout (suitable for Showers & Wet rooms)

Sponsored Links
It probably leaks when you stand in the shower, as the weight of your body creates a hair line cap around the shower tray. Make sure you silicone around the edge.

Andy

Unibond floor grout? For floors?

Floor grout slumps, and it has probably slumped on the horizontal joints, leaving very little grout at the top edge of the horizontal.
IMO id rake it out and use Unibond Wall Tile Grout, instead of floor tile grout, and silicone as asked/intimated.

Sponsored Links
Unsure of exactly where you experiencing this problem; is it the joint between the tray & the tiles, the cubicle frame & the tiles; both these should always be silicone not grouted as should the corner wall junctions. Where is water appearing, outside the tray, on the ceiling below? You say it’s a ceramic tray, is it ceramic or in fact stone resin? Is the tray moving? Did you bed the tray down?

Your choice of grout is probably the biggest mistake you’ve made (both the make & type of grout you’ve used) & it could well be seeping through, what adhesive did you use?

No offense to the plumbers but another mistake was posting a question about tiling in the plumbing forum!

I have just installed a New Ceramic Shower tray and grouted round it with Waterproof grout. Yet I am finding it is still leaking, Water seems to be seaping throught the grout when we shower. Appear about half way down the grout on the shower tray base between the tiel wall and cubicle. Don;t think it is running under the cubicle frame....more seaping through the grout.

Any suggestions. Doesn;t seem to be any cracks in Tray Glaze or Grout.

Wall is tiled with a Ceramic Tray and a Glass / Metal Fram shower cubicle.

Grout was Unibond - Floor Grout (suitable for Showers & Wet rooms)

Dig the grout out and use a good silicone instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back