When I bought the trays I phoned coram customer support and was advised
that part of the wall should be chased out to allow the tray to fit in
my alcove. The alcove consisted of a dry lined wall and two stud
partitions with plastered plaster board, the problem seems to be that
the tray flexes and cracks the grout above the first row of 4" by
8" tiles which overlap the tray. The water gets inside this crack
and runs down behind the tray through the floor and through the ceiling
below. I can only reach the front three legs but it would appear that
they might loosen (unscrew) with repeated use of the shower.

The tray fits in the alcove between the wood of the studwork but
doesn't have plasterboard against each side.

What do you suggest?

I am considering using mastic instead of grout above the first row of
tiles, trying to fix the legs so they can't spin with mastic/a screw
(??) or using a row of larger tiles above the tray such as the 12 inch
floor tiles I have in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Try the tiling forum M8........there is a product that you can use instead of the silicone @ the tray edge ...it`s like a 2 piece cover strip that allows for the movement you`ve got .....so the tiles stay put and the tray can move........can`t remember it`s name tho` :oops:

I know this is an old topic but I have the same issue.....what did you do in the end ?

The small tiles above the tray flexed causing the grout to crack. even small cracks draw water in.

I took off three rows of the 10 by 30 tiles and used 20 by 30 tiles instead placed longways. this reduced the angle that the tiles flexed at. so far the grout hasn't flexed. My method was probably overkill but it seems to be working.

The coram tray comes on legs and flexes even with the legs adjusted correctly. I would not buy one again.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
I've got the older style tray (metal legs not the black and yellow ones), think you may have the newer one with black and yellow legs. My intention is to remove the first row of tiles and get rid all together...a guy I work with has a Showerlux tray which is also plastic and on legs....he says in totally solid. His Showerlux tray doesn't have a base board underneath...speaks volumes, to be fair it's probably near the £300 but i'd sooner spend that than have something that doesn't work.....a lesson learned on my part.

Well after 3 weeks it's starting to leak again, I am really P*ssed off. I am on the verge of getting it all ripped out and having a resin tray put in and the walls redoing in aquapanel.

I am selling the house in a couple of months so I could just patch it up.

Dont buy the CORAM WATERGUARD trays- they are not worth the hassle.

For what it's worth I went to a Showerlux stockist....their classic 800 square tray was £220 inc VAT....I stood on it and it was solid enough to take my 16 stone frame without sagging.....it's plastic but is re-inforced with glass polymer and it's also on legs. My plan is to bin the first row of tiles and fit one of these instead then retile flush.

Heres a link
http://www.showerlux.uk.com/rdas/papp.asp?cmd=HPPTPRDE&TypeID=1919&RangeID=2193&SubID=2187

the problem is that this tray is "chased" into the wall. I am thinking of ripping all the tiles and plasterboard off, replacing with aquapanel and a base then a ceramic tray then tiling down to the tray. This bendy base on legs is crap, customer services said they had sold 90,000 without problems. I don't see how as my experiences can't be unique. I'm not happy with my buiders work but the installation of the tray isn't the cause of the leaks.

I'm gutted. :(

I put two of these in years ago and tried them with two people in. Tenants do that sort of thing. I didn't like the flexing so used about 4 folding wedges cut from 100 x 50 wood, as well as the legs:
Foldinwedges.jpg

EveyUK maybe I misunderstood.....are your walls flush with the upstands on the tray? your earlier posts made me think that your tray upstands were within your stud walls meaning the bottom tile would be at an angle and not straight.

ChrisR's suggestion of extra support is not a bad idea if it holds water :LOL:

ChrisR have you had any bother with yours since fitting ?

Yes they are flush, they are as the customer service told me to fit them. The only thing which wasn't done was securing the legs to the floor, I don't see how you could do this on the back legs anyway.

The whole problem with my tray is that it flexes, the flexure pulld the tiles and cracks the grout in some cases.

I'm getting someone round to rip them out and fit a sold base with a resin tray and aquapanel sides today.

These coram trays are not worth the risk/hassle IMO.

Yes they are flush, they are as the customer service told me to fit them. The only thing which wasn't done was securing the legs to the floor, I don't see how you could do this on the back legs anyway.

The whole problem with my tray is that it flexes, the flexure pulld the tiles and cracks the grout in some cases.

I'm getting someone round to rip them out and fit a sold base with a resin tray and aquapanel sides today.

These coram trays are not worth the risk/hassle IMO.

Old post, but found it on google before I fitted my tray. Well I tried my tray before tiling & also found lots of flexing, no matter how well I adjusted the legs. Secured the 2 front & 1 middle legs well with screws, & this made an amazing difference, making the tray solid, so I think not securing them would have been the problem.
This post was very useful though, as I've taken much more time & care ensuring the tray was solid before tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back