Leaking Shower Tray Join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On moving into my house a few months ago, I noticed the tiles around the newly fitted shower/shower tray were discolouring, and the silicone was coming away. I removed the old silicone and started to take out the grout which was soft, and lifted up the tiles. Underneath was drenched with water, so i cleaned up all the grout and left the base to dry out.
Once it had dried out, I applied new unibond waterproof grout/adhesive and re-layed the tiles. Once these had dried I re-sealed the edges to the shower tray and walls.

This monring I noticed the silicone coming away, so I pulled it off and the tiles moved, so I lifted them and again it is covered in water.

Any ideas how I can permanently seal the tray and stop the water getting through to the grout/adhesive underneath?

Sharon

Sponsored Links
What are the tiles onto? Plasterboard, plywood etc?

Most likely your shower wasn't tanked(?)

The tiles are onto a wooden base, like a thick plywood. The water has soaked into a small part of it where it has started to crumble like a plywood. Havn't a clue what tanked means, so probably not looking at all the other corners that have been cut in this house.

Any ideas what I can do to sort this out?

Kind regards, Sharon

Unfortunately only cowboys tile on plywood. They should have used Aquapanel.

Sponsored Links
I thought as much, you wouldn't believe some of the work that has been done here. Is there any way around it without taking the whole thing out and starting again?

shazski said:
Is there any way around it without taking the whole thing out and starting again?
Not really :cry:

Do a search on Moz's post for tanking shower, plenty info there

I didn't tanked my shower, but used shower panels which is similar like this

Excellent link , Masona....I`ve used Marbrex panels before :idea: similar stuff

Can someone tell me where Moz`s article is on this forum re this subject

joe-90 said:
Unfortunately only cowboys tile on plywood. They should have used Aquapanel.

Only cowboys tile on plywood? what about plasterboard ? does everyone need to rip their bathroom apart to tile on "Aquapanel" I guess it makes me a cowboy for tiling onto plasterboard? THANKS FOR TELLING ME

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back