Shower Leaking - Plumbing Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have redone my bathroom (tiled) .., moved water pipes etc.

I have a combination boiler so its a pressurised system as far as I understand it and have reused a Gainsborough thermostatic shower.

Unfortunately when I connect the Gainsborough elbow connectors (the elbow joints are brand new) from the mixer unit to the copper hot and cold water pipes, water is leaking around the pipes. My OH thinks the pipes are fairly old and not completely round which is causing the 'bad seal'.

Of course I wish he'd told me of this possibility before I'd done the tiling so we could have put in new pipes when it was so much easier.., but too late now (honestly I did suggest we should replace the pipes when we moved them).

Is there any way around removing the tiles and putting in new pipes so as to save my OH from more 'You should have's.., lol'? My OH thinks we have to replace the Gainsborough elbow connectors with something able to maintain a better seal.

Sponsored Links
Hope these give enough detail. Yep he's broken a tile.

elbowjoint2.jpg

elbowjoint.jpg

cappedpipe.jpg
[/img]

The joints are pushfit not compression. OH has been told by a plumber friend that he needs to use a blow torch to unseal the joint behind the end capped pipe, put in another length of the pipe protruding from the wall and attach the gainsborough elbow joint to that.

Sponsored Links
Does the cap that you have on there hold the water without leaking?

if so then it ain't the pipe being deformed. Although I suspect either he cut them too short for the shower fitting, or for some other reason the tail is now too short to fit the shower.

Either way - looks like tiles are coming off doesn't it?

Yep I think I am going to lose some of my formerly pristine tile work. I suspect that the projecting pipe is a bit short altho he's denying that profusely lol. The pushfit stop cap is stopping water but he says only just.., u have to get it in the right position to prevent leaks.

Then the pipe might be deformed - can't you tell when the cap is off....

Then again, it is a Speedfit cap and JG Speedfit is utter w@nk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back