Shower panel, any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of using something else instead of tiled walls in my shower area in order to get a continuous surface (no grout lines). Are the shower panel products any good? Any suggestions?

Steve

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of using something else instead of tiled walls in my shower area in order to get a continuous surface (no grout lines). Are the shower panel products any good? Any suggestions?

Steve

Steve - I have used the shower walls that you are looking at. Easier to install and certainly are lasting well. They have changed how you install them over the years - learning through experience I guess. I would recommend using as few pieces as possible. I used planks that were 6 feet high but about a foot wide and the join is where you get blackening after a while. As always preparation is everything. Don't rush it and don't cut corners.

http://www.decospanels.co.uk/

I used this lots PVC cladding but as noted I would go for the panels, tailor made and cut to complete however many walls you need. You will hence have less joins for mould etc to get a hold. That said our shower room has done 5 showers a day, 6 days a week for 7 years and it's holding up pretty well. I'm pretty sure my wife would have said to re-tile at least twice in that time!

I ended up throwing away the B&Q tiled wall panels. The weakest link is the internal angle, the supplied double channelled plastic angle trim is useless. The walls have got to be absolutely square for you to make any decent water tight seal.
I used the 'special' recommended adhesive to hold the panels to the wall and when I had to make a slight adjustment (as you do) the wall panels ripped, glue everywhere, all over your hands and plenty of foul language. Stick with tiles and waterproof backer board!

As Kev said, preparation is everything and you can't cut corners. With the silicone adhesive, always remember to use the recommended brand/type otherwise you will invalidate your guarantee.

Most panels come with a 10 year guarantee, I know IPSLUK.CO.UK empower this, but I'm not sure about anyone else. You can also find more info at this forum here: http://wallpanels.tumblr.com/

Sponsored Links
I used the same as Ken Mavor - different make - Marbrex ( i think ) Brilliant stuff - did a whole shower room @ last house . As said you MUST USE the correct - ie. Neutral Curing - silicone . The other stuff , that smells of vinegar, is WRONG and will not stick . Window fitters use it( vinegar one/sani. seal) :rolleyes: and it comes away in strings :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back