Shower pressure fluctuations

have you adjusted the hot water temp ? the maximum should be no more than 65c.

Sponsored Links
There is a thermostat strapped to the cylinder about a third of the way up, set it to 60 and see if it makes a difference to the shower pump.

Sponsored Links
I checked the float valve while my son was showering and although it works, the tank was virtually empty when he'd finished. I'm assuming that it should keep the tank at a better level than that? I've cleaned the valve but it doesn't fill any quicker.

Something else happened while I was up there; my wife turned the cold tap on in the kitchen and the tank stopped filling. I would guess that indicates a mains water pressure problem, which is why the tank isn't filling fast enough. Does that sound right?

Yes, although it could be that the float valve is partially blocked with limescale crud even when it appears to be open,a restriction that will be compounding the problem of low mains water pressure.

where the water comes out of the float valve rub with your fingers to try and clear lime scale to increase flow rate or replace with a new float valve as this is the problem as stated earlier

I took the valve off and used a de-scaler on it although it didn't look like it needed it.

What sort of level should be maintained in the tank while the shower's on and should it stop filling when another tap is turned on?

it is stopping filling when the kitchen tap is turned on as the kitchen tap is also connected to the mains and water is lazy it will take the easiest route although it shouldn't starve the float, check this at different times off the day as high demand times will lower your water pressure, there isn't really a level it should be kept at but the incoming supply should really be able to keep the tank almost full if you have a good main.

it is stopping filling when the kitchen tap is turned on as the kitchen tap is also connected to the mains and water is lazy it will take the easiest route although it shouldn't starve the float, check this at different times off the day as high demand times will lower your water pressure, there isn't really a level it should be kept at but the incoming supply should really be able to keep the tank almost full if you have a good main.
Thanks.

I just had a shower and the pressure was dismal. I checked the tank before and it was full. My son had one this afternoon and the pressure was fine. Strange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back