Shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a tower shower that we really struggle to turn on. We have to turn the thermostat far as we can on cold and it is really really stiff. Even then it doesn’t always come on. It generally starts dripping slowly then comes on after 30 seconds or so. Once on we can’t turn it left to warm up. It turns to hot quite easily, but won’t start if on hot. I’ve taken the shower off and the pressure through the flexi hoses seems fine. The hoses are a little dented where bent but not too bad. The thermo was no different when I removed the pipes.
Sooo it does seem a problem with the shower thermostat but it’s pretty much alway been like this just now a lot worse. Got to the point that my wife can’t turn on due to arthritis and 6ft 2 me struggles just as much.
The confusing thing is I’m pretty sure the previous tower shower when we moved in started playing up the same which had me thinking there might be a blockage.
I even replaced the pump, but having taken the shower off today it doesn’t seem to be pressure.
So would appreciate your thoughts? And if it can only be the shower could I just replace the thermo? Could the kink in the pipes be enough to cause an issue? But if so the hot was more kinked than cold and it’s. Cold that kicks in the pump.
As you will see the pipes are right next to each other so ideally don’t want to have to move them apart. Access is an issue.
Lots of info. Apologies but the fact we had troubles with the old one made me concerned.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is no limescale. I tried taking the temp knob off and moving it a bit anti-clockwise but still wouldn’t let me go round more clockwise and still wouldn’t come on.
Shower is a Milano baya and I can’t find any replacement part. It looks like a large cylinder as per pics. Is there a cartridge I can replace inside that or is it one unit?

Sponsored Links
But that wouldn’t cause the stiffness turning the temperature knob?

But that wouldn’t cause the stiffness turning the temperature knob?

True, but the kinks might well delay the appearance of the water. I would be stripping the controls down, checking for the build up of limescale - good soak in citric acid or lemon juice to clean it off, then a bit of lubricant.

Its not that old and I see no limescale. Are there shorter or rubber hoses I can replace these with?

Anyone got any ideas on why the temp dial is stiff one way? or if its possible to replace?

No one? or any suggestions if there is an alternative shower i can fit without moving the pipes?

and if i can find a replacement thermostat valve...noob question but do i need to isolate the water to remove it?

Anyone got any ideas on why the temp dial is stiff one way? or if its possible to replace?

Perhaps the whole unit is a designer-esque pile of Chinese low cost bijou poo, installed with the same skill and care as it was designed and built with?

Take it down, strip it down, see if its ok or knackered, clean it up if its the former. Replace the flexi tails with as much decent piping as you can.

Or burn it in the garden and fit something else?

Probably. Only choice I have at the moment is to remove the valve and see if it has any identifying marks so i can find a replacement, and try and find some flexies which won't dent. If it still won't start post that then i can only assume there isn't enough pressure to start the pump. But when i removed the shower it looked ok pressure wise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back