Shower pull switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it safe to leave a pull switch on all the time or will it burn out. this also leaves a standby light on my mira sport shower.

Sponsored Links
Well, a shower should always be turned off with its own controls as opposed to using the pull chord. So I'll say yes. OK to leave on.

Best option is to operate the pull switch only when the shower is switched off at the shower itself. This prevents arcing in the contacts of the pull switch and thus extending its life time. Arcing wears the contacts and worn contacts can become hot when passing current and that is the most common reason for failaure of shower pull switches.

Turning the pull switch off after the shower is turned off does remove power from the shower so it is marginally safer to do so.

the showers always turned off using the off button on the shower. but just wanted to know if the pull switch is safe to leave on all the time, someone told me to just leave it on but don't want the switch to burn out, if that would even happen.

Sponsored Links
There is only a small amount of electricity going through the switch when the shower's switch is off (only enough to light the standby light).

So it's OK to leave the pull switch on. Unless (and there is always one of those) unless the maker's instructions say that it should be turned off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back