Shower Pump Installation Arrangements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please!

Will shortly be adding a small stuart turner showermate pump in new bathroom installation.

My plan is for the pump to be located under the bath, as at the one end there will be a fair bit of space with some boxing in between bath end and wall. Screw fixed removeable panel etc. Not enough space in airing cupboard by cylinder unfortunately.

Query is concerning pipework arrangement and whether dedicated hot/water feeds to the pump are really needed. Normal cold and hot water with loft cold water feed tank (some 2.5m above), cylinder below etc. The installation manual of course requires separate dedicated supplies from cold and hot water tanks.

Intention is to have 22mm hot and cold feeds into the bathroom, tees off for toilet, basin and bath, and then into pump. All very close and within 1.5m of cylinder. Other outlets would not be used at the same time as the shower so I really can not see a problem with this if there are NRV on the pump outlet.

Also does the hot water tap off from the hot water cylinder really have to be with a surrey flange or essex flange rather than the normal top outlet where there is a good head - cold wtaer tanl 2.5m above?

Any help would be appreciated before I go ahead and then find I need to rejig as I got it wrong!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The short answer is that you might get away with not following the MIs but if you do then;

1) The installation may not work and you may have to start again
2) The warranty will be void

The reason for the dedicated pipework is that the pump will need pipework with a flowrate capable of supplying the inlet side of the pump - the installation you have described has everything attached to a single 22mm feed.

The cylinder flange is designed to minimise the risk of air being drawn into the pipework. If you simply tee off the existing hot water outlet from the cylinder then everything else in the house may also be attached to the same pipework.

Long answer - follow the MIs and enjoy the result (hopefully)

Don't forget that you pump installation is subject to part P regs as it is within the bathroom

harrybike said:
Advice please!

Will shortly be adding a small stuart turner showermate pump in new bathroom installation.

My plan is for the pump to be located under the bath, as at the one end there will be a fair bit of space with some boxing in between bath end and wall. Screw fixed removeable panel etc. Not enough space in airing cupboard by cylinder unfortunately.

Query is concerning pipework arrangement and whether dedicated hot/water feeds to the pump are really needed. Normal cold and hot water with loft cold water feed tank (some 2.5m above), cylinder below etc. The installation manual of course requires separate dedicated supplies from cold and hot water tanks.

Intention is to have 22mm hot and cold feeds into the bathroom, tees off for toilet, basin and bath, and then into pump. All very close and within 1.5m of cylinder. Other outlets would not be used at the same time as the shower so I really can not see a problem with this if there are NRV on the pump outlet.

Also does the hot water tap off from the hot water cylinder really have to be with a surrey flange or essex flange rather than the normal top outlet where there is a good head - cold wtaer tanl 2.5m above?

Any help would be appreciated before I go ahead and then find I need to rejig as I got it wrong!

Thanks

(Bamber screams): ELECTRIC SHOWER :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also shower pump could suck in air from the hot supply from the open vent.

Sponsored Links
(Bamber screams): ELECTRIC SHOWER

why would you mess around with a pump when you could just stick in an electric shower for less money and hassel :confused:

you will still need a part p quald sparky though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back