Shower pump seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a Salamander CT50+XTRA just over 3 years ago (to replace an older version that decided to start smoking). The other day my wife called me as the shower was just dripping.

The pump was running but clearly no pressure. I turned mixer from full hot to cold. The pump just hums on both feeds with no water pressure.

I'm guessing it's seized. I called Salamander and of course warranty is 3 years, and it's just out of warranty. They recommended checking the filters.

My issue is it not likely filters are clogged on both hot and cold feeds at the same time.

Once I take the pump off the shower won’t work at all. At least ATM I can just about shower. Is it possible I can unseize the pump and if so how? Or should I just get a replacement ready? If replacement can anyone recommend a better brand/pump?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The bearings will be shot.
So is it terminal?

Can you recommend another brand that has a longer warranty, or is at least less likely to fail? I don't know how long the previous Salamander pump was in for as it was there when we bought the house, but I wasn't impressed that I gave off a ton of smoke when it decided to pack in, and this new pump has sealed the deal.

Sponsored Links
1. Agree for Stuart Turner, but get the Monsoon, not one of the cheap ones.
2. If Salamander hums and gets hot but not as noisy as usual, could be the capacitor.

So is it terminal?

Can you recommend another brand that has a longer warranty, or is at least less likely to fail? I don't know how long the previous Salamander pump was in for as it was there when we bought the house, but I wasn't impressed that I gave off a ton of smoke when it decided to pack in, and this new pump has sealed the deal.
Yes. I would replace it with a Stuart Turner.

Would I be better off sticking with 1.5bar, or could I use a 2.0bar? Shower has never been that powerful. Saying that the header tank in the loft isn't massive, so there is a risk a long shower could empty it.

Thinking about this I think it's time to get get a bigger loft tank. I also notice the cold feed from the loft tank runs to the shower, back to the pump in the airing cupboard (which is almost directly under the loft tank) and then to the shower again. Is this likely due to that it was originally gravity fed before a shower pump installed later? If so why not run the feed straight down from the loft tank to the the pump and then to the shower?

If I got someone in to put a bigger tank (or and extra one), sort the pipe work out and fit a ST monsoon, what would I be expecting cost wise?

If the pumps not fitted to the MI'S then no manufacturer will honour any amout of warranty.

Fit an unvented cylinder. Far better far longer warranty.

Alot less likely to go wrong.

If the pumps not fitted to the MI'S then no manufacturer will honour any amout of warranty.

Fit an unvented cylinder. Far better far longer warranty.

Alot less likely to go wrong.
Sorry what is MI'S? Could you please elaborate? There is a cylinder for the hot water which feeds the shower pump hot side and a loft tank which feeds the cold on the shower pump and also refills the hot water cylinder.

All I did was replace the broken unit with a new one. I would like to think it was installed correctly to begin with.

Last edited:
Sorry what is MI'S? Could you please elaborate? There is a cylinder for the hot water which feeds the shower pump hot side and a loft tank which feeds the cold on the shower pump and also refills the hot water cylinder.

All I did was replace the broken unit with a new one. I would like to think it was installed correctly to begin with.
Manufacturers instructions

My guess is that it's not installed as per Mi's. I only say this because most installations I see are not.

I advise customers depending on their circumstances, to go for unvented or even a combi boiler.

Pump Manufacturers are very anal and will blame anything but their pump for it's malfunction, so as not to validate their warranty.

I say this. Aqualisa I think are the best of the bunch

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back