Shower Pump Impellers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a salamander twin impeller shower pump (CT50+) and was just wondering what happens if you have a cold shower? I.e. will is sense the cold water flow and run the hot side dry or can these pumps switch-off individual impellers?

Didn't want to damage the unit by only running cold through it so wondered if they can handle it?

Thanks a lot,

Sponsored Links
Nothing to worry about just running the cold the impellors are individual

Thank you - much appreciated.

On a similar theme, I need to re-plumb where the hot water is fed from because it is sucking air via the vent.

This means that the pump only pumps cold when first started, then when the mixer is turned off and then on again it works perfectly.

Any idea if sucking air through the pump will cause any damage (if only for say 10-seconds initially) before the hot gets pulled through?

I was assuming that there would be no hot flow so just the cold impeller was running?

Thanks

Think you will find that these two impellers are driven by a single shaft motor ie both impellers rotate together. Running one side completely dry will do the seal no good but it would be reasonable to assume that both impellers have water swishing around, even if not flowing via the shower head.

As to the problem of drawing air, it sounds like you need to have a look at your feed side plumbing since there's no way such a system should draw air.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the information - much appreciated.

Its not a recommended installation so wasn't going to mention too much! ;)

Basically the pump is in-line with the old gravity-fed shower pipework in the loft. The original hot water feed is taken from near the vent pipe.

Spoke to salamanda today and they recommended moving the supply to the below the main T (where the pipe splits after if exits the HWC).

I appreciate that the pump should be near the tank, flanged etc, however, as an interim solution, I'm wondering if what salamander suggested would work?

Dave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back