Shower Pump Start for no Reason?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When a Hot Water tap is turned on, (Kitchen or Bathroom) the pump for the shower starts up.

Also the the Shower Pump will start in the middle of the night for no reason. No taps will be on at the time, Also No appliances will be running ie dishwasher, washing machine etc.

Any ideas :(

Thanks, Bob

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that water gushes out of the shower head?

Forgive my ignorance but what does a shower pump do? Where is it installed? How is the pump wired? What tells it to pump?

An electric shower has to have a cut-off switch fitted by law You switch this off when the shower is not in use so it's impossible for the shower to operate when nobody is there. The switch is often arranged as a pull-cord from a ceiling switch.

When a tap is turned on, only the shower pump operates, there is no discharge from the shower head.

Its a pumped shower not electric.
The shower pump has 2 inlets and 2 outlets. The hot water feed is from the tank and the cold water from the mains pressure. The two outlets feed the regultaor on the wall of the shower.

Does this help?

The shower pump's pressure sensor is detecting a slight water pressure drop that is why it is starting. no water will come from the shower head because the taps are not on. it starts in the midlle of the night for the same reason.

These type of "systems" do not require a pull cord isolation switch but you can isolate it from the spur sitting next to the pump it self

The solution is to either change the pump (expensive) or find and adjust its pressure switch (better idea)

Sponsored Links
Thankyou Breezer.

Is pressure switch inside the pump or can the adjustment be made on the outside. What would it look like? a screw adjuster or some type of dial?
It a bit hard to get to and I cant see it at the moment as its in another persons house I am trying to help.

Thanks again,

I had this happen to me, it was a Monsoon Pump that would often satrt to run, no water would come out as the taps were off but the pump would run for no reason. I called out a company called local pump company and they fixed it for about £50, considering its and £250+ pump and has been in for the last eight years and I'm told it will last for that long again I was quite happy.

The cold supply to the pump should be from a tank not from the mains.
Any mains water moving in the house will activate the pump as well as the increase in pressure at night time.Shower pumps must be tank fed.

bandit said:
I had this happen to me, it was a Monsoon Pump that would often satrt to run, no water would come out as the taps were off but the pump would run for no reason. I called out a company called local pump company and they fixed it for about £50, considering its and £250+ pump and has been in for the last eight years and I'm told it will last for that long again I was quite happy.

What did they fit?

I am currently installing a power shower pump so will know what todo if the same happens!!

Cheers

Duxster

Thanks for all the useful help.

I called a service engineer out and he spotted the problem straight away. A sensing switch had been turn off. This put the pressure up. Any slight change in the system the pump would switch itself on.

Thanks again
Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back