Plumbing Advice - combi boiler piping to thermostatic shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am after some advice.
2 years ago i did a bathroom overhaul replacing all the appliances and replacing the old electric shower for a thermostatic shower with a shower pump fitted at the base of the hotwater tank (then a conventional system). I had to run the pipes from the shower pump (hot and cold) up into the attic along and back down the wall cavity to the thermostatic shower. All worked perfectly for a year and a half. I then had the combi system (worcester bosch) fitted into the airing cupboard in the place of the hotwater tank and the plumber piped up the shower as necessary.
Since having the combi, I have noticed that the bathroom taps and shower are alot loader and clunky on operation (due to the high water pressure in our area) and especially now considering the water pressure for hotwater is now from the main via the combi.
I have toyed with ideas of lowing the water pressure but when testing with manual throttling valves i have noticed, as expect, that when you throttle one appliance to work correctly once another appliance has a demand the water flow in the first appliance is not suitable.

Anyhow,

Last night I had a fitting blow off the hot water feed to the thermostatic shower pipe in the attic and p*** water out down the wall cavity, luckily i was in and managed to turn off the supply quickly with hopefully not too much water damage, fingers crossed. The wife said she had operated the basin tap and on closing it she heard a loud pop followed by the gush of water.

My question is this:
Could the problem have arose due to the fact that the shower piping runs up from the boiler into the attic before coming back down to the thermostatic shower, i.e. could i have had an air lock in the pipe that caused the fitting to blow off once the pressure had suddenly built back up once the that tap was closed?
I have no check valves in the system, not sure if i should of had?
Also the fitting connection was made using a brass elbow fitting on plastic pipe as opposed to push fit which i am going to fit tonight (John Guest).
Any opinions welcome.

Sponsored Links
If the pipe is not clipped securely the wall it allows the fitting to 'walk' off every time the pressure hits it [after moving to mains pressure.] Do you have inserts in the pipe?

If the pipe is not clipped securely the wall it allows the fitting to 'walk' off every time the pressure hits it [after moving to mains pressure.] Do you have inserts in the pipe?

Thanks for the reply,

This is a very good point I think from memory there are less fixing closer to the connection due to where the pipe had to run. I will add additional cross braces for the clips to mount on. Yes i was using inserts so not sure why it would have been a problem.

Sponsored Links
It was a plain plastic one originally but i have bought the ones with the o rings for when i put the john guest push fits in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back