Shower Pump with Non-Return Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
The instructions on my pump say "Do not install a non-return valve or devices which contain non-return valves in the suction (inlet) pipework to the pump. The pump must be free to vent to the supply tanks at all times".

My pump is fitted between the shower mixer and the shower head but I do have a non-return valve fitted on the hot feed to the shower mixer - does this still count as being in the inlet pipework? If so could this be the reason why my pump sometimes fails to cut in? If I remove the non-return valve then my overflow pipe starts spurting out water continuously. Is this anything to do with the pressures being different for the hot and cold feed to the shower?

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

This topic gives more detail.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=768665#768665

Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links
read your last post why has your cold got more pressure than the hot ?
it is fed from the cws tank in loft or from mains water supply ?

Hi
The cold is fed from the cws tank directly to the shower.

To be honest I'm assuming it is greater pressure but thinking about it I'm basing that on the hot and cold feed to the bathroom sink where the cold is substantially more powerful but in that instance the cold is mains fed so that is not a sensible comparison.

It may be that they are the same pressure.

Sorry to be so vague but this is all a minefield to me.

Thanks
Phil

Hi
It now doesn't seem to be cutting in at all. I had a shower yesterday afternoon and a day later it still isn't cutting in. Previously it would generally be a couple of hours or so after having a shower until it would cut in again.

Cheers
Phil

Sponsored Links
You need balanced, dedicated feeds and the pump should come before the shower mixer.

Hi
It's a single impeller pump, I understood that single impellers came after the shower mixer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back