Shower - Rotten Timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Although the site has given me a lot of answers about showers I'd be grateful for some advice on my particular situation.

I got rid of a leaky quadrant shower tray with a sliding door panel set up to expose rotten floorboards and some damage to the lower frame/backing above a joist, mainly where the back of the tray meets both corner walls. The first 2 rows of tiles sitting on the tray were bowed so I picked off a few, they were stuck to crumbly mouldy plasterboard.

I don't want to overhaul the bathroom so my idea is to get a builder in to make good the floorboards and backing. The pipework seems ok but I'll fit all new waste pipes just to make sure they are sealed.

I don't want to create a tiled wall backing for this shower. I'd rather buy a good quality fully enclosed unit. I have spares of the original wall and floor tiles so the plan is to make good the floorboards, lay 12mm marine ply, leave holes for the waste and where the new enclosure fittings will be, and fit the enclosure.

My question is, do you see any problems with this plan or have any suggestions as to how I could make this as waterproof as possible. I will obviously use good quality grout & sealant having seen other threads. The other question is, do you know of a good quality shower enclosure manufacturer?

Regards
BestLaidPlans

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back